I teach journalism students to use both Joomla! and WordPress. I spend more time on WordPress as my general feeling is that WordPress has improved over the years while Joomla! has stagnated somewhat. Two years ago Web Designer magazine commissioned me to write a feature about Joomla!. It was part of a series of articles […]
Archive | CMS RSS feed for this section
I’ve co-authored the Top 50 Blog Techniques feature which appears in Issue 171 of Web Designer magazine (available now in all good newsagents in the UK and in other countries). It contains 50 (count ’em!) tried and tested tips to help you use: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal and Squarespace. Joomla! isn’t the most intuitive CMS, so […]
This month’s Web Designer magazine includes a tutorial on How to Build a News Site in Joomla! written by me (Steve Hill). By following the 24 steps, readers should end up with a decent looking news site. Well, that’s the general idea. The tutorial will be particularly useful for charities or schools who are seeking […]
It’s been a long time overdue, but this blog has finally moved to WordPress. As WordPress gets better and better, Typepad (or to be precise, Movable Type) has not really moved with the times. I’ll be going through this blog attempting to remove all the duff links, but this may take a while.
INTRODUCTION – WHAT IS JOOMLA!? Joomla! is an open source content management system (CMS). It's open source like the Linux OS, so that means it's free to use and people give up their spare time to develop it. OPEN SOURCE IS GOOD NEWS Open Source is generally good news for individuals, non-profit organisations and those […]
Steve Hill (pow365)
Lecturer at Westminster University. Co-author of Online Journalism: The Essential Guide. (https://t.co/3GZgyLNwRR). Personal views only, except RTs.
Online Journalism: The Essential Guide
- Jellyfish: Do teen girls want “push” or “pull”? March 26, 2007
- Hosting a Jooma! site July 5, 2007
- Reflective practice for journalists May 5, 2007
- Online journalism university courses January 6, 2007
- The Guardian and its anti-BBC views. July 22, 2008
- Local TV – the pros and cons August 15, 2014
- Reviews: online booking services for tutors and lecturers August 15, 2014
- Examples: university news sites August 12, 2014
- Running a journalism newsday (part 4) August 12, 2014
- Running a journalism newsday (part 3) August 12, 2014
- SteveH: Hi Joe, AppointLet looks good. You get a free ...
- Joe: Hi Steve, Great article, you might also want to...
- SteveH: I really can't stand South West trains. The thing...
- Luke Y: Very interesting article, particularly the informa...
- LorisShoes: The post is written in very a good manner and it e...
- RT @AnaDenisova: Journos under 27yr old don't know how to use the phone.Year 1s, grab it and chase people for your stories! brilliant insig… 7 hours ago retweeted via AnaDenisova
- RT @AnaDenisova: Scandinavian inflight mag, BBC, Buzzfeed, B2B and co... - our excellent alumni occupy the media! @uw_mad https://t.co/N23U… 7 hours ago retweeted via AnaDenisova
- Great to see B2B represented on Westminster journo panel @jimmy_mac https://t.co/D9q03RYgS5 7 hours ago
- Really strong line up at the Westminster alumni industry panel - so important and great advice. @jimmy_mac https://t.co/5HCLLcyr7S 7 hours ago
- RT @UWEJournalism: What's the future of journalism education? We asked @mattcooke_uk from @googlenewslab #gnluwe https://t.co/WUNbeUPrd4 9 hours ago retweeted via UWEJournalism