I teach journalism students to use both Joomla! and WordPress. I spend more time on WordPress as my general feeling is that WordPress has improved over the years while Joomla! has stagnated somewhat. Two years ago Web Designer magazine commissioned me to write a feature about Joomla!. It was part of a series of articles […]
Archive | CMS RSS feed for this section
I’ve co-authored the Top 50 Blog Techniques feature which appears in Issue 171 of Web Designer magazine (available now in all good newsagents in the UK and in other countries). It contains 50 (count ‘em!) tried and tested tips to help you use: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal and Squarespace. Joomla! isn’t the most intuitive CMS, so […]
This month’s Web Designer magazine includes a tutorial on How to Build a News Site in Joomla! written by me (Steve Hill). By following the 24 steps, readers should end up with a decent looking news site. Well, that’s the general idea. The tutorial will be particularly useful for charities or schools who are seeking […]
It’s been a long time overdue, but this blog has finally moved to WordPress. As WordPress gets better and better, Typepad (or to be precise, Movable Type) has not really moved with the times. I’ll be going through this blog attempting to remove all the duff links, but this may take a while.
INTRODUCTION – WHAT IS JOOMLA!? Joomla! is an open source content management system (CMS). It's open source like the Linux OS, so that means it's free to use and people give up their spare time to develop it. OPEN SOURCE IS GOOD NEWS Open Source is generally good news for individuals, non-profit organisations and those […]
Steve Hill (pow365)
Co-author of Online Journalism: The Essential Guide. (http://t.co/3GZgyLO4Hp). Lecturer at Southampton Solent University. Personal views only, except RTs.
Online Journalism: The Essential Guide
- Jellyfish: Do teen girls want “push” or “pull”? March 26, 2007
- Hosting a Jooma! site July 5, 2007
- Reflective practice for journalists May 5, 2007
- The Guardian and its anti-BBC views. July 22, 2008
- WordPress versus Joomla! – which is best for a news site? July 20, 2009
- Blogging in Russia – a video on Al Jazeera English March 22, 2014
- Punishing Reporters for Truth in a Censored Media – Abby Martin & Amber Lyon March 14, 2014
- A local TV revolution begins in Grimsby February 26, 2014
- Writing a dissertation – tips for undergrad journalism students August 28, 2013
- UK Twitter Rape Threats Lead to Arrests by David Pakman Show August 11, 2013
- SteveH: I really can't stand South West trains. The thing...
- Luke Y: Very interesting article, particularly the informa...
- LorisShoes: The post is written in very a good manner and it e...
- daniel: A cool post please keep it up...
- admin: Hi Tim, Thanks for your comment. This post was w...
- "Why Publishers Should Care About Wearables, And How They Can Prepare" http://t.co/tG9wi5XvGE 2 weeks ago
- Hoping this will be good >>"Watch HBO's 'Silicon Valley' Premiere on YouTube for Free" http://t.co/y6BA9ilDwP 2 weeks ago
- "Every student needs to be able to capture clean, usable audio AND video on iPhone" >> What journalism students need http://t.co/U4U9YaNnNI 2 weeks ago
- Wouldn't want one of them charging in my direction... >>Forest friends star in Animal Magic http://t.co/Lw3eUqIVCj via @alangeere 2 weeks ago
- NUS blasts David Willetts over changes to disabled students’ support http://t.co/xYcYYbKH5N via @feedly 2 weeks ago