I’ve co-authored the Top 50 Blog Techniques feature which appears in Issue 171 of Web Designer magazine (available now in all good newsagents in the UK and in other countries). It contains 50 (count ‘em!) tried and tested tips to help you use: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal and Squarespace. Joomla! isn’t the most intuitive CMS, so [...]
Archive | How To RSS feed for this section
The analysis of websites from a cultural and media studies perspective raises numerous methodological hurdles. When conducting audience research using a particular genre of newspaper or magazine there is a centrality to the text(s) being considered. In contrast, researchers of the Internet can often feel overwhelmed by the vastness and global nature of web communication, [...]
This post is a little 'off-topic', so I'll keep it brief. I travel a lot by South West Trains [SWT}. Peak train fares in Britain are the highest in Europe (source: Campaign For Better Transport) and it pains me to think that I spend just over £4k a year of my hard-earned cash getting around [...]
Those looking for a decent content management system (CMS) for a website [quick tip: look at open source before opening your wallet] should check out the current issue of .Net* Magazine [Issue 177 / July]. *Note: The magazine is known as Practical Web Design outside the UK. It has some good general advice, roughly translated [...]
There was an ugly scrap this week on the Sky News blog – Boulton and Co. It involved a silly little competition to name the plane that Gordon Brown flew to the States in. See Plane Stupid – Adam Boulton Blog In the post, the Sky News blogger described Brown’s plane as a ‘pimpmobile’ – [...]
Online Journalism: The Essential Guide
- Jellyfish: Do teen girls want “push” or “pull”? March 26, 2007
- Hosting a Jooma! site July 5, 2007
- Reflective practice for journalists May 5, 2007
- The Guardian and its anti-BBC views. July 22, 2008
- How to appeal against a penalty fare notice from South West Trains September 20, 2009
- Small-town views January 13, 2014
- Writing a dissertation – tips for undergrad journalism students August 28, 2013
- UK Twitter Rape Threats Lead to Arrests by David Pakman Show August 11, 2013
- Hedges: Journalism Should Be About Truth, Not Career – Pt 2 of 7 by TheRealNews August 10, 2013
- Google Chromecast lacking apps August 7, 2013
- SteveH: I really can't stand South West trains. The thing...
- Luke Y: Very interesting article, particularly the informa...
- LorisShoes: The post is written in very a good manner and it e...
- daniel: A cool post please keep it up...
- admin: Hi Tim, Thanks for your comment. This post was w...
- "Turning the Tanker -the end for BBC 3" http://t.co/ZGPS2ELT5d << complete rubbish to say commercial TV can fill gap for 18 to 35 year olds 2 hours ago
- To the BBC Trust - #SaveBBC3 http://t.co/F07sYP6mG8 via @UKChange 3 hours ago
- "Planning an Online Course" http://t.co/GsPOSPr6Nv <<< have a feeling I will need this one day 20 hours ago
- #TreasureHunt on #Challenge - Things were crap in the 80s. You had to use things like 'books' for research and helicopters to get around. 21 hours ago
- "It should not be a shock that the Education Secretary’s kids go to State schools" http://t.co/hWRbbLyS0S 23 hours ago