I’ve co-authored the Top 50 Blog Techniques feature which appears in Issue 171 of Web Designer magazine (available now in all good newsagents in the UK and in other countries). It contains 50 (count ‘em!) tried and tested tips to help you use: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal and Squarespace. Joomla! isn’t the most intuitive CMS, so [...]
Archive | How To RSS feed for this section
The analysis of websites from a cultural and media studies perspective raises numerous methodological hurdles. When conducting audience research using a particular genre of newspaper or magazine there is a centrality to the text(s) being considered. In contrast, researchers of the Internet can often feel overwhelmed by the vastness and global nature of web communication, [...]
This post is a little 'off-topic', so I'll keep it brief. I travel a lot by South West Trains [SWT}. Peak train fares in Britain are the highest in Europe (source: Campaign For Better Transport) and it pains me to think that I spend just over £4k a year of my hard-earned cash getting around [...]
Those looking for a decent content management system (CMS) for a website [quick tip: look at open source before opening your wallet] should check out the current issue of .Net* Magazine [Issue 177 / July]. *Note: The magazine is known as Practical Web Design outside the UK. It has some good general advice, roughly translated [...]
There was an ugly scrap this week on the Sky News blog – Boulton and Co. It involved a silly little competition to name the plane that Gordon Brown flew to the States in. See Plane Stupid – Adam Boulton Blog In the post, the Sky News blogger described Brown’s plane as a ‘pimpmobile’ – [...]
Online Journalism: The Essential Guide
- Jellyfish: Do teen girls want “push” or “pull”? March 26, 2007
- Hosting a Jooma! site July 5, 2007
- Reflective practice for journalists May 5, 2007
- WordPress versus Joomla! – which is best for a news site? July 20, 2009
- Mobile broadband reviewed in PC Pro June 24, 2008
- Writing a dissertation – tips for undergrad journalism students August 28, 2013
- UK Twitter Rape Threats Lead to Arrests by David Pakman Show August 11, 2013
- Hedges: Journalism Should Be About Truth, Not Career – Pt 2 of 7 by TheRealNews August 10, 2013
- Google Chromecast lacking apps August 7, 2013
- Facebook mobile users braced for more ads August 4, 2013
- SteveH: I really can't stand South West trains. The thing...
- Luke Y: Very interesting article, particularly the informa...
- LorisShoes: The post is written in very a good manner and it e...
- daniel: A cool post please keep it up...
- admin: Hi Tim, Thanks for your comment. This post was w...
- Sort it out TurnItIn >>>Anti-cheat software 'stops working' http://t.co/rYNKJoNOeF 7 hours ago
- Teachers Give Better Grades to More Attractive Students study....http://t.co/FZ1SsBmElq 7 hours ago
- TweetDeck. Great on desktop. Crap on mobile>>> @suellewellyn: New users can sign in to TweetDeck using Twitter http://t.co/1qPvPHevN5 7 hours ago
- No luck getting through to @Waterstones customer helpline. They close at 6pm weekdays, closed all weekend and now not picking up?! 2 days ago
- RT @J_S_Allen: @pow365 "SEO is dead, long live SEO". Possible topic to discuss/article to cite in future online journalism seminars? http:/… 5 days ago retweeted via J_S_Allen