A study by John Mathews and Kate Heathman of Liverpool John Moores University involved a survey of students working on a journalism news website at LJMU. It described a mostly positive experience and provides many useful tips for those looking to run similar newsgathering operations.
Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section
These tips are based on my experience of supervising undergrad students last year. It’s not meant to be a supplement for reading a decent book on writing dissertations or, indeed, information from a tutor. 1) Get the info you need: What’s the word count? What are the key deadlines? Stick this by your bed, by […]
The super cheap (just £25) Google Cromecast is causing quite a stir and could be an ideal way to turn a non-smart TV into a media streamer. It’s loads cheaper than rivals Apple TV, Roku and WD TV currently available. However, TechRadar has given it a lukewarm review. It states: The good news for Google and […]
Enders is responsible for some of the most incisive media trend analysis around today, even if it makes somewhat depressing reading for those of us who still love our glossy mags in paper format. It states in a briefing today: Magazine consumption and advertising will be more affected by the explosion in mobile device ownership […]
I teach journalism students to use both Joomla! and WordPress. I spend more time on WordPress as my general feeling is that WordPress has improved over the years while Joomla! has stagnated somewhat. Two years ago Web Designer magazine commissioned me to write a feature about Joomla!. It was part of a series of articles […]
Steve Hill (pow365)
Lecturer at Westminster University. Co-author of Online Journalism: The Essential Guide. (http://t.co/zTSNcQGmbV). Personal views only, except RTs.
Online Journalism: The Essential Guide
- Jellyfish: Do teen girls want “push” or “pull”? March 26, 2007
- Hosting a Jooma! site July 5, 2007
- Reflective practice for journalists May 5, 2007
- Online journalism university courses January 6, 2007
- The Guardian and its anti-BBC views. July 22, 2008
- Local TV – the pros and cons August 15, 2014
- Reviews: online booking services for tutors and lecturers August 15, 2014
- Examples: university news sites August 12, 2014
- Running a journalism newsday (part 4) August 12, 2014
- Running a journalism newsday (part 3) August 12, 2014
- SteveH: Hi Joe, AppointLet looks good. You get a free ...
- Joe: Hi Steve, Great article, you might also want to...
- SteveH: I really can't stand South West trains. The thing...
- Luke Y: Very interesting article, particularly the informa...
- LorisShoes: The post is written in very a good manner and it e...
- RT @simonpipe: @BBCArchive @TheAJEUK Didn't Michael Gove also play the hapless accountant in Ghostbusters? 3 hours ago retweeted via simonpipe
- RT @BBCArchive: Michael Gove used to be a BBC reporter you know. Here he is at a gay rights march in 1993 for On The Record https://t.co/Rr… 3 hours ago retweeted via BBCArchive
- RT @Jem_Collins: ARE YOU IN STUDENT MEDIA? FILL THIS OUT PLEASE. https://t.co/EEUeLKKR1s 1 day ago retweeted via Jem_Collins
- RT @jmfletchers96: I don't care how many times I retweet this @Jacqui_Smith1 is 100% correct. https://t.co/E17p5pDHaA 1 day ago retweeted via jmfletchers96
- Emap, once a giant in UK mag publishing, is to vanish. Killed off by digital -sad times http://t.co/3pwo5VeOZE 1 day ago